Hello! Welcome to my set review of Commander Masters, where I will pick five cards of each colour and discuss my favourite cards from them. Yes, there will be and artifact and lands review as well as a multicoloured review.
This is also a reprint set which means that this is mostly going to be picking cards for what they’ve already shown they can do. The monetary value of the cards is nice, but will not likely be the biggest factor in my selections. Because they’re reprints, we know that the cost might course correct and some cards will only be lower for a little bit so be sure to snap up singles at threekingsloot.com.
Without further ado, here are my favourite Black cards!
Demonic Tutor is back again. A solid mythic inclusion in the set.
I really dislike tutor effects but they’re necessary for cEDH and, in the casual circles, they allow for decks with secret commanders. I’m happy to see this back again for those who want it!
Truly not much to say about this card! It’s from the first set of the game. It’s an A+.
Half of the Mike n Trike combo with Triskelion (now better with Walking Ballista), Mikaeus, the Unhallowed makes my heart sing as an aristocrats player. I love graveyard strategies, I love getting to double dip on my creatures entering the battlefield and dying. Of course, this can’t be in a Human focused deck, but anywhere you have a high density of non-Human creatures, you can slap the in and give your opponents a hard time.
When Twilight Prophet first came out, I could not believe it. It was Bob (aka Dark Confidant) but your opponents take the life loss instead? That’s insane. Anybody who lets this live a turn cycle will feel some pain, especially if you’ve got a Sensei’s Divining Top.
If you’ve got a deck that focuses on a creature type, you’re gonna want a board wipe that spares your creatures. Crux of Fate exists for Dragons, but Kindred Dominance exists for Clerics, Krakens, Wizards, and Avatars… among others – I mean, everything!
This card got expensive since its printing in C17. It’s a wonderful thing to behold, seeing it in this set. I hope its first reprint will make it more affordable to support creature types that need it.
Did you know this was $50 USD before this reprint was announced?
This card is a F-I-N-I-S-H-E-R, darling! This is a flying 6/6 Demon with Wound Reflection stapled to it and it also prevents your opponents from gaining life. Talk about putting pressure on life totals. Plop this into a Saskia the Unyielding or give it encore in an Araumi of the Dead Tide and close out the game.
- Bloodchief Ascension – This card is a long time coming. Mindcrank goes infinite with this once the Ascension is online. Excellent inclusion in mill and discard decks.
- Chainer, Dementia Master – We just got this card reprinted in Dominaria Remastered and honestly, I’m including it here because only months ago this was almost $10 and now it’s 50 cents. What a time to be alive. What an incredible card, truly. I really love this creature.
- Curtains’ Call – Four mana for instant speed kill two creatures is pretty good rate. There’s no caveat like on Malicious Affliction either!
- Deadly Rollick – This cycle was a mistake, it’s too powerful. Get this card.
- Decree of Pain – Modal board wipe and if you’ve got the mana, you’ll draw so many cards. In terms of board wipes, I wish this one saw more play and it hopefully will.
- Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder – It’s nice to see Endrek Sahr get some respect and a bit of a handsome glow up. This card is an aristocrats dream! Just make sure you’ve got a free sacrifice outlet to keep your Thrull count down.
- Exsanguinate – Classic game ender, new art!
- Grave Pact – The new art pieces for this card are incredible, though for one extra mana, gaining Flash with Dictate of Erebos makes me favour that instead.
- Imp’s Mischief – This card is so much fun, I can’t wait to jam it in a bunch of decks.
- Rankle, Master of Pranks – This card is more fun than you think it is… every time.
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded – Sacrifice a creature, pay two life, sure that’s enough for a Demonic Tutor! This card is nuts. I don’t play it, of course, but my god, that’s so powerful. Turn your creatures into any cards in your deck.
- Rune-Scarred Demon – Speaking of getting any card in your deck, seven mana for a 6/6 flyer that enters to give you any card you need? And it’s on a body you can blink? Aminatou, the Fate Shifter can’t lose!
- Sower of Discord – Araumi of the Dead Tide is picking up some spicy reprints!
- Toxic Deluge – One of the most efficient board wipes in the format.
That does it for Black! Tune in next time for Red!